[Marxism] Re bookstores in Cuba

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Wed May 22 23:38:29 MDT 2013

Michael A. Lebowitz said;
What Ken Hiebert observed in the bookstores are the unsold books. Books are snapped up in Cuba, and the best sense of what is available out there is to go to theincredible Havana Bookfair in February (as the publishers push to get their books out in advance of that). Unlike capitalist publishers, they don't keep automatically producing more copies of the books that are selling [especially since books are so subsidised]; rather, they use their limited budgets to produce other books. At least,that is true of Ciencas Sociales, one of the major Cuban publishers.

Ken Hiebert responds:
Thanks Michael. You make a very good point.
Of the ones I did not find, which, in your experience, have been available in Cuban bookstores?

"Here are some writers I did not find.  Stalin, Mao, Trotsky, Luxemburg, Gramsci, Bukharin, Plekhanov, Mandel, Chomsky.

On the Middle East there was practically nothing. Certainly nothing on the Arab Spring.  My partner did see a Spanish language collection of Mahmoud Darwish.  And I saw a book on the Islamic Revolution in Iran.  The second time i saw it, I opened it up and had a look.  It was not written in Cuba, but was a Spanish edition of a book originally published in Iran.  Not surprisingly, there was a picture of Khomeini on the front cover and the dedication page said, "In the name of Allah, the compassionate, the merciful." (My translation from the Spanish.)"