[Marxism] The real working life of a chef

michael yates mikedjyates at msn.com
Thu May 23 07:53:33 MDT 2013

This is a good essay. It speaks the truth about restaurant work. One of my sons is a chef, and the other two work in the food industry as cooks and manager of a pizza shop. I get pretty disgusted when I hear people talk about the glamor of restaurants. One person I know went on and on one evening about how the work in a fancy restaurant was like a symphony. I wanted to slap her across the face for such stupid bullshit. Cook your own fucking food! My sons are always getting burned and cut, and the work is stressful beyond words. They have great skills, and most of us could do this work for a single shift. Yet, we just order our food and never think about what is happening in that kitchen. Plus wage theft is common, and unpaid hours are the norm. At least when some drunk college kid gives my one son a hard time late at night, my son might just grab him by the shirt collar and throw him out the door. Watch the regular cooks on the show Chopped and listen to how much that $10,000 prize means to them. Fuck every celebrity chef and fuck all the "foodies" too.