[Marxism] Bhaskar Sunkara’s vain hopes | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Thu May 23 17:17:29 MDT 2013

This is a really important topic and not only for the US of A.  Something
similar could be written about Australia.  Now what Sankara obviously wants
is a return to a putative Golden Era - that of FDR etc.  As | have said
repeatedly, the reason we do not have such an era today despite the
economic chaos is that we are missing the threat of the Bolshevik take
over.  For moderates (liberals) to have any purchase with the ruling class
there has to be among the bourgeoisie a fear of red ruin.

Badiou says somewhere that Lenin and Mao genuinely scared the ruling class.
Whatever one thinks of Mao, the point is a very valid one.  It is fear and
fear alone that will lead a member of the ruling class to get up and say
"We have nothing to fear, but fear itself".   So the task of the Left is to
strengthen the Left and not to seek an alliance with moderates on their
terms.  If we do so we weaken our usefulness to the moderates, not of
course that that should be our intent.

However, and this is the tricky bit, for the Left to grow we have to move
into broad alliances and for once and for all abandon the model of
bureaucratic centralism- that  Zinoviest party building nonsense which
leads to the rise of mountebanks like Kimber and Comrade Delta and endles
splits, disillusionment, and burn out.

A side comment about Doug Henwood and celebrity.   If we want to move into
a period of broad alliances, and we should, we need to abandon the
begrudging mind set. Doug is one of the good guys.  We need a thousand more
like him and if he becomes a celebrity - good on him I say.
comradely

Gary