[Marxism] bluff, bluster, and bullshit at CounterPunch

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun May 26 09:16:07 MDT 2013

On 5/25/13 11:15 PM, Dennis Brasky wrote:
> Excellent question Dan. About a year or so ago, I was stunned and sickened
> at the defense that some on this list were making of the rapist Roman
> Polanski, and now the defense of CP's sexist crap and attempt to create a
> diversion by framing the entire issue over the use of the word "tits" which
> Smith has vigorously disputed. It's especially depressing to see Louis buy
> into this filth. Let me add that I am no fan of the ISO, but on this one,
> they're 100% correct.

Sorry that you were "sickened" by a couple of subscribers (Shane Mage
and David Thorstad) raising points about the legality of Roman
Polanski's extradition of the sort found on wsws.org. For three days we
wasted our time with subscriber after subscriber making the same exact
points about sexism and rape until I finally used my power as moderator
to shut the thread down.

As far as I can tell, nobody is really interested in offering their own
thoughts on what Ruth Fowler wrote but in expressing shock and outrage
over CP publishing her article primarily and secondarily my feelings
that there was no need for her or CP to "apologize" for what she wrote.

In fact I went back and looked at the two other articles by women on CP
that took the same position. One mentioned that it WAS RUTH FOWLER WHO
PUT THE WORD "TITS" IN THE TITLE OF THE ARTICLE. And now we have the
spectacle of the ISO circulating open letters demanding that Jeff St.
Clair be censured for not telling Fowler to use another word.

Apparently Ruth Fowler is not the sort of person ISO'ers feel
comfortable around. Not only does she use words like "tits". She was
also a topless dancer at one point in her career, working at
Scores--Howard Stern's favorite joint.

"That day I became a stripper. This is always the point at which I lose
people's understanding. But why a stripper? How could you do that? It's
so gross! It's so unfeminist! All I can reply is that I became a
stripper partly because I desperately needed money, and partly out of a
recognition that, deep in my soul, I was one already."

full: http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2008/apr/13/women.shopping

Well, ISO kiddies--with your Ivy League pedigrees--that's the kind of
woman Ruth Fowler is. Get used to it. It's a wide world out there that
does not fit into your understanding of feminism.