[Marxism] bluff, bluster, and bullshit at CounterPunch

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun May 26 19:52:17 MDT 2013

On 5/26/13 9:15 PM, Dennis Brasky wrote:
> “Paul LeBlanc speaking at the British SWP conference, Vivek Chibber, a gang
> of twenty-five year olds …” "Bait and switch" is as good a term as any to
> describe creating smokescreens as diversions from the issue.

Enough already. We get it. You are unhappy with CP.

But unless you write something of substance, then just stop wasting
bandwidth.

I doubt that I will find the time to get into the science of genes and
preemptive surgery but I should remind comrades that I used to be a
database administrator at Memorial Sloan-Kettering during which time I
made a fairly serious attempt to get up to speed on cancer as a disease,
particularly the social and economic implications.

Two books I would strongly recommend:

Samuel S. Epstein "The Politics of Cancer"

Robert N. Proctor "Cancer Wars: How Politics Shapes What We Know And
Don't Know About Cancer"

Proctor's book is especially useful in taking up the ties between
genetic predisposition and environment. I don't challenge the wisdom of
women who can afford genetic testing to have such a procedure done, but
unless we do something about the environment cancer will remain an epidemic.

Given Angela Jolie's celebrity, the least thing you would expect is a
mention of phenomena like "cancer alleys" that the disgusting Gina
Kolata (sister of the late Judy Bari) has done everything to cast in
skeptical terms.

Finally, I just want to remind comrades that there are plenty of things
in CP that I disagree with but the idea of organizing a fucking campaign
to get Jeff to do a Maoist-style self-criticism is extremely stupid. The
substance of Ruth Fowler's article has to be engaged and her decision to
use the word "tits" has to be accepted on its own terms--namely the
vocabulary of a female journalist who has pushed the envelope of what is
expected of women her entire adult life. I think it speaks well of CP
that it can provide a platform for him, as well as people like Arno
Mayer, the preeminent historian of the past 50 years in my opinion.