[Marxism] Another review of Heinrich

michael yates mikedjyates at msn.com
Tue May 28 15:02:37 MDT 2013

The review by Matthijs Krul of Michael Heinrich's isn't too bad, and it is nice that he avoids the hysterical nonsense I have read in some places. However, a couple of things struck me as off the mark. First, to say that Kliman has consistently applied Marxist economics, is I am certain, a matter of debate. Matthijs sort of gives away the game, pretty much saying that Heinrich is so fundamentally wrong about something so vital that he can hardly be said to be writing in the Marxist tradition. Yet, if Heinrich is correct and Marx himself had abandoned the Tendency of the Rate of Profit to fall, then maybe it is up to us to develop better crisis theories. And maybe to admit that crisis can arise in any number of ways, each unique perhaps. Second, I don't see how it can be argued that if a crisis is ameliorated, a worse one will occur. This seems a way of looking at the world that misses all of its complexity and changes that defy theoretical analysis at all. Third, the fact that capitalism works through the exploitation of wage labor, that it is consistent with all manner of other forms of subordinated labor, such as slavery, that it means the degradation of most human beings, and so on and so forth, means that a severe economic crisis is hardly needed for us to see the barbaric nature of the system and the need to get rid of it. Crisis mongers seem like religious zealots to me. Or worse yet, libertarians, who no matter how many times they are proved wrong, just say that, well, the markets aren't really free. For our falling rate of profit diehards, it is well, wait til next time, or well, yes it looks like profits have risen but that is only because you haven't defined profits properly. And finally, why bother with unions, national healthcare, and the like? These are just redistribution schemes.

I took Heinrich's introduction about so-called worldview Marxism as saying that we cannot introduce Marx for beginners if we start with that. Fair enough in my view.