[Marxism] Blog Post: One Nation, One World

michael yates mikedjyates at msn.com
Wed May 29 09:42:11 MDT 2013

Full at http://cheapmotelsandahotplate.org/2013/05/29/one-nation-one-world/

This essay follows discussion, sometimes rancorous, on the internet about both some hopeful signs of radicalism in the United States and the question of what is the Real America. My view is that the fact that certain high profile liberal intellectuals are perhaps moving slightly left and that some liberal magazines are opening their pages to a certain kind of left intellectual are not that important in terms of building a new left in the United States.

I have never belonged to a left political party. The few meetings I attended and the people that tried to recruit me into parties left me cold. So efforts to build a new party are alien to me. Left-liberal alliances seem a dead end too. The anarchists have such big holes in the analysis of capitalism that I don't see good prospects there, though they have often done good work in things like OWS. On the other hand, the Leninists seem overly fanatical and intolerant of divergent points of view.

I liked parts of the essay Louis posted by the Chris Taylor, but this has been subjected to withering criticism by Jodi Dean (I am none too crazy about her either!).