[Marxism] precursors to occupygezi

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri May 31 08:21:55 MDT 2013

On 5/31/13 8:23 AM, Andrew Pollack wrote:
> The media is full of reports about the spread of Occupy to Turkey, and the
> bravery of those facing brutal repression.
>
> When I asked a Turkish-American friend -- an undergrad -- who's there right
> now what she's seeing, she mentioned that Turkey has a long history of
> revolt.

This must be a reference to this that just appeared on FB from Gareth Dale:

 From a friend in Turkey: "Thousands of environmentalists in Istanbul
are standing for the last green spot in the city, where the unilateral
violence of the police has turned the city center in to a war zone. The
government has recently declared that this last bid of green and 100
years old trees within to be removed and replaced with a shopping mall.
Please support #direngeziparki and #occupygezi on social media.
any organization you can take the attention any person you can reach."

---

There are a number of Turks on Marxmail. Maybe they can add something.

But this reminds me of a point I made to my wife, who is Turkish, when
we were in Mexico City last week. What a contrast between Mexico City
and Istanbul, two cities with the same massive population and problems
associated with a flood of rural folk pouring into the city. In Istanbul
there is zero interest in preserving Ottoman era architecture except in
the lucrative tourist part of the city around Taksim. But in Mexico City
there are reminders everywhere of the city's Aztec past. I guess the
PRI, for all its faults, was a bit more committed to the country's
cultural past as opposed to another "modernizing" tendency: Kemalism. Of
course, the AKP is far crasser than the Kemalists with their Anatolian
Tiger Islamist values.