[Marxism] Bill Ayers' book

Philip Ferguson philipferguson8 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 22:34:04 MDT 2013

Louis wrote:
"What did the SDS and the SWP have in common? It is now clear to me that
they shared an utter inability to view themselves critically. If the SDS
Weathermen could not objectively assess the political impact of their
ultraleftism, the SWP was not much better. Announcing in 1976 that the
working class in the USA was more radical than at any time in the 20th
century, the party leaders--who were as pigheaded in their own way as
Bill Ayers and Bernadine Dohrn--dispatched the membership into factories
and out of the mass movement, where they had been so effective."

This is in no way whatsoever any sort of endorsement of Ayers and Dohrn,
but one thing I will say about them in relation to the equivalent couple in
the SWP (Barnes & Waters): Dohrn and Ayers never expected anyone in their
group to do anything they themselves didn't do.  As much as I think their
politics were crappy, that puts Dohrn and Ayers in a different moral
category to a lot of the folks that sit atop Trotskyist sects and cults.

The personal courage and muck-in spirit of folks like Ayers and Dohrn (and
David Gilbert) wedded to some decent politics would be something quite
impressive.

Phil