[Marxism] 'A Prairie Home Companion' is wretched and unlistenable - SBNation.com

Wythe Holt jr. wholt at law.ua.edu
Mon Nov 4 06:47:58 MST 2013

I must say, Tom, you are exactly right with respect to my listening to Garrison Keillor and "A Prarie Home Companion."  I do not see any subtlety whatsoever there, nor anything but pedestrian capitalist insight. I am missing what you see.  Here is what I see, and hear: Keillor is always interrupting his intelligent guests, always one-upping them and putting down their insights, always demanding that everyone toe HIS party line, always reminding them and us that he and he alone is in charge of this whole show, like it or not, that he calls the shots and no one else should think of rising to his level of intelligence, wit, control, and tyranny.  There is no hint of democratic equality in his manner or in his speech -- he is like a New Deal Democrat, like FDR.  He hates any attempt to organize against him -- just like all capitalist bosses do -- throwing attempts at unionization against his show out the door.  When do you ever hear Keillor praise real unionization, much less give ANY praise to genuine revolutionary activity, anywhere?  He is quick to oppose real independence-assertion by his guest entertainers and -- the few times it has been allowed to happen on air -- has gotten really angry at people (mostly singers and other entertainers) who actually speak up against him and express their own sharp opinion, different from his.  Keillor is a boss par excellance, a real tyrant and a nasty person when challenged.  Years ago I heard this from the horse's mouth, from an Alabama folk singer who had been invited to appear on the show and who was roundly and bitterly disappointed with the whole experience.  In solidarity, Wythe