[Marxism] 'A Prairie Home Companion' is wretched and unlistenable - SBNation.com

mjs at smithbowen.net mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Nov 4 08:56:09 MST 2013

Some men there are love not a gaping pig,
Some that are mad if they behold a cat,
And others, when the bagpipe sings i' th' nose,
Cannot contain their urine. For affection,
Mistress of passion, sways it to the mood
Of what it likes or loathes. Now, for your answer:
As there is no firm reason to be rendered
Why he cannot abide a gaping pig;
Why he, a harmless necessary cat;
Why he, a woollen bagpipe, but of force
Must yield to such inevitable shame
As to offend, himself being offended—
So can I give no reason, nor I will not
More than a lodged hate and a certain loathing.

----------------

Me, I can't stand Danny Kaye. Go figure.

Always rather liked PHC myself. Never listen to it except
when I'm doing something else -- driving or sailing
or doing some kind of manual work, anything that precludes
reading. It's nothing sensational -- just a kind of harmless
and occasionally useful, if not strictly necessary cat.

Of course I grew up in small-town/rural Amurrica myself,
and have somewhat the same complicated attitude toward it
that PHC expresses.

Antipathies are so much more interesting than
affinities, aren't they? It's a lot more fun to hear
from somebody who froths at the mouth at PHC than from
somebody who merely likes it.

Some other antipathies of mine, just for fun:

Vivaldi (well, not *all* of him). That interminable tweedling!
Faulkner -- an awful, unreadable, self-important phony
Eliot -- an awful, unreadable, self-important bore
Harold Bloom -- Jabba the Hutt, without the latter's ogreish charm
Saul Bellow -- Your know-it-all half-educated alter-kaker uncle,
always holding forth at the Seder about some Big Idea or other
Robert Siegel -- speaking of the horrors of NPR