[Marxism] 'A Prairie Home Companion' is wretched and unlistenable - SBNation.com

tom herzog thomasherzog2000 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 4 12:55:56 MST 2013

Wayne,

I can't disagree with any of your assertions because, as long as I've been listening to PHC, I haven't really recognized the points you criticize; but then I don't listen from a leftist or Marxist perspective.  Heck, it's just entertainment.  Mr Keillor is not organizing and running a nation-state, for  heavens sake.  If Kiellor wants to be a tyrant on his own show, then that's his prerogative.  I assume he pays his guests and their appearance is fully voluntary and not coerced in any way.  If they don't like the host's atitude then they can take their business and talent else where.

What I see in PHC is a fairly ingenious insight into American society in general and small town America in particular.  Unlike Hollywood, or the main-stream-media, or broadcast television and commercial radio, Keillor is not trying to make money off people by manipulating them with lurid or sensationalistic dreek.  And granted, not every show is brilliant; some shows are downright dull and yes, pedestrian.  But Keillor has his moments of Mark Twain like brilliance from time to time in his skits such as "Guy Noir" and "Lives of the Cowboys" and occasionally his "News from Lake Wobegon" can brilliantly illuminate a point about the human condition in general and small town America in particular.

Finally, it's just a radio show.  I  gave up television seven years ago because the vast bulk of it belittles the viewer and is an insult to even a person of average intelligence.  Keillor never stoops to that level.  Most of his guests are sincerely talented if perhaps too "quirky" for prime-time and Keillor himself is, in my subjective and personal opinion, a talented humorist and an insightful commentator on American society.  So as we used to say in law school, "reasonable minds can differ".  Perhaps we can leave it at that?

Tom