[Marxism] 'A Prairie Home Companion' is wretched and unlistenable - SBNation.com

Michael Smith mjs at smithbowen.net
Mon Nov 4 16:50:30 MST 2013

On Mon, 4 Nov 2013 17:34:04 -0500
michael yates <mikedjyates at msn.com> wrote:

> Keillor has his moments, but I grew up in a small town, and it was
> nothing like Lake Wobegon... Since my contrarian comrade, Michael
> Smith, likes the show, I may have to rethink my position.

Heh. Don't do it on my account; let a hundred fleurs du mal blossom,
I say. I have too much affection for my fellow curmudgeons to
discourage any baring of fangs or deep-throated growling, any breaking
of butterflies upon the wheel or beating of dead horses. Hell, I have
a whole stable of the malodorous critters that's all my own.

That said, this discussion is starting to make we wonder whether
some of the dislike for PHC rests on a category error. It's light
comedy, not failed verismo. HMS Pinafore is nothing like the real
Royal Navy, either, but it's a lot of fun.

Not that PHC is in the same class with G&S. But you see what I mean.

Somebody needs to write an essay on the essentially conservative,
reassuring nature of *all* comedy, in the classical sense of the
term, from Lysistrata to screwball and rom-com. The genre *always*
ends up telling us that all is well. But surely even us hardened
cadre are allowed a few minutes off-duty from time to time?