[Marxism] Syria: It's Still a Revolution, My Friends | Fellowship of Reconciliation

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Nov 8 16:50:13 MST 2013

In SYRIA, a broad spectrum of twenty-somethings across every province
were inspired by Bouazizi’s self-immolation, by 26-year-old Asma
Mahfouz’ call to Tahrir, by the movement for Khaled Said, a young
activist murdered by Egyptian police in 2010, NOT by some U.S.
president’s call for regime change as in Iraq. By the will to “live like
human beings,” as one after another has told me when I have met them and
asked for their stories. ASK for their stories, please. They will TELL
you what motivated them to risk their lives as they did. Syria’s
revolution youth hit the streets out of grievances they have
EXPERIENCED, in their own bodies, in their own lives; this revolution
was not begun by some Syrian version of Iraq’s Chelebi, nor by
established oppositionists, but by geographically widespread rural and
small-town women and men of ALL sects, young people whom the CIA never
even heard of, coming together in a new spirit. They are nobody’s
proxies, no matter how much outside agendas want to make them somebody’s
proxies.

full:
http://forusa.org/blogs/mohja-kahf/syria-its-still-revolution-my-friends/12398