[Marxism] Capitalism: A Ghost Story | Arundhati Roy

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Nov 10 08:42:07 MST 2013

Is it a house or a home? A temple to the new India, or a warehouse for
its ghosts? Ever since Antilla arrived on Altamont Road in Mumbai,
exuding mystery and quiet menace, things have not been the same. “Here
we are,” the friend who took me there said, “Pay your respects to our
new Ruler.”

Antilla belongs to India’s richest man, Mukesh Ambani. I had read about
this most expensive dwelling ever built, the twenty-seven floors, three
helipads, nine lifts, hanging gardens, ballrooms, weather rooms,
gymnasiums, six floors of parking, and the six hundred servants. Nothing
had prepared me for the vertical lawn—a soaring, 27-storey-high wall of
grass attached to a vast metal grid. The grass was dry in patches; bits
had fallen off in neat rectangles. Clearly, Trickledown hadn’t worked.

But Gush-Up certainly has. That’s why in a nation of 1.2 billion,
India’s 100 richest people own assets equivalent to one-fourth of the GDP.

full: http://www.outlookindia.com/article.aspx?280234