[Marxism] Bullying in the National Football League | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

mckenna193 at aol.com mckenna193 at aol.com
Fri Nov 15 06:33:00 MST 2013

Mobbing and Bullying are sympomatic of our age in proto-fascist America. Here's what I wrote on a  MI listserv, that assisted in my firing a decade ago, in government. It was all about my experience, but I didn't say so.
http://www.great-lakes.net/lists/enviro-mich/2001-03/msg00000.html

I welcome the Miami Dolphins story. . it is a small opening into the shadow side of the culture. . . .

I know much more about this today. . .A book that I am reading that distills how PTSD running rampant is The Trauma Bond (2013). . it's on the Counterpunch site.
http://www.amazon.com/Trauma-Bond-Inquiry-into-Nature/dp/1780998783

Here's what a professor friend wrote me about mobbing in academia:

"Mobbing is symptomatic of university life in faculty offices and in the dorms. The suffering inflicted by sadistic bullies is real, and I have put up with it for decades, and found ways to deflect these oppressive practices.

As we look beyond the anti-humanistic university, we can see how this form of anti-humanism pervades other elite institutions, such as the church and the congress, the financial sector, the health sector,  and we'll need a deeper analysis that links self-ethnography to organizational studies.

We are living in a "sea change" as the piece on Stanford indicates, where students are viewed as livestock. What does this say about faculty who do not buy into the current corporate trends in the 21st century new model university? Talk about anti-humanism?

I find it increasingly difficult to read first-person accounts . . .of the various pathologies experienced at the hands of institutionally protected sadists.

Why? Because, none appears to go far enough in understanding the particular behaviors within the larger framework -- one that protects mobbing and bullying, and uses such actions to further institutional goals during this time of profound change in the universities and elsewhere.

For many (adjuncts, junior faculty, progressives), academe is not a welcoming place, and certainly not one that accommodates critical commentary about the world (or the "peculiar world" of academics), using a "studying up" approach. In fact, turning a critical eye toward the university as an incubator of these forms of pathology is even more suspect in these times, when governmental, corporate and academic worlds are meshing.

I hesitate to use the "f" word (fascism); but the tactics that we are witnessing across workplaces begin to resemble those of "brownshirts." Of course, unlike the public behaviors of brownshirt mobs in Nazi Germany, the bully's and mobbers' behaviors are for the most part hidden from view, especially from those outside the institutional setting -- similar to longstanding patterns of abuse within a family world, which only emerge during a significant crisis.

We appear to be poised to understand how PTSD and other outcomes affect not just the individual but the situations and settings ("the traumatized organization", if you will) that maintain and support dehumanizing conditions."

Me again. . . .Life is hard for cultural activists. . .we cannot do it without friends, comrades and a great partners!

Brian McKenna