[Marxism] A tale of two conferences | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Nov 18 13:42:54 MST 2013

This is a tale of two conferences, one billed as a teach-in on Syria
that occurred yesterday at New York University; the other to be held in
London on November 30th on Syria as well. They could not be more unalike
even though Trotskyists (loosely defined) were in the driver’s seat of
both events. As is the case in my write-ups of many movies that I walk
out of in disgust after 15 minutes, I will rake the London event over
the coals even though I will not be attending it, even if someone paid
for the airfare.

The London event is organized by the Stop the War Coalition (STWC) that
played a key role in opposing George W. Bush’s war on Iraq. To put it as
succinctly as possible, they see Syria as a new Iraq war in the making
and their mission revolves around the need to oppose Obama’s war
plans—something that amounts to busting down an open door. It does not
matter to them that Obama never had any intention of invading Syria and
imposing “regime change”; nor does it matter that there has been a
revolutionary struggle in Syria. Their analysis is based on the struggle
between nations and not between classes. In the case of Syria, the
neoliberal family dynasty that is bombing working-class tenements must
be supported simply because it is opposed by the USA, even if that
support is verbal. As long as there is a single op-ed piece by Nicholas
Kristof taking the Baathists to task or a single speech by Obama filled
with crocodile tears about the “Syrian tragedy”, they will remain on
Bashar al-Assad’s team.

full: http://louisproyect.org/2013/11/18/a-tale-of-two-conferences/