[Marxism] C.S. Lewis gets fucked again

Gary MacLennan gary.maclennan1 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 23 01:50:44 MST 2013

Hi Andrew,

I did recently pen a short piece about fantasy in a review of China
Mieville's Kraken. In that piece I tried to make the case that Tolkien was
not as reactionary as he is depicted.  As usual on this list, my post sank
without comment.

Sigh! Why do I bother?

Still I think that it is arguable and if I get time I will argue it - that
Tolkien is an ambivalent figure.  Of course he praises the feudal nobility,
but the true heroes of his sagas are the peasantry, the little people i.e.
the Hobbits.  This is pure Rousseau.  Of course it is not Marxist, but then
in my old age I am inclined to think the unthinkable that Rousseau maybe,
just maybe,was more radical than Marx!

 I have not read Narnia and have only watched bits and pieces on the tele,
but I do take Lewis seriously as a thinker and again, when I get the time I
might finally read his treatise on love.

In any case, you are correct, he is a much more considerable figure than
Jack (This will only take a minute!) Kennedy.

comradely

Gary