[Marxism] C.S. Lewis gets fucked again

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Nov 23 12:35:57 MST 2013

Lewis was first of all a considerable scholar and a poet, as well as a novelist and a theological writer. (See now <http://www.poetryfoundation.org/article/246936>.)

His lectures published under the title "The Discarded Image" (1964) are a wonderfully erudite account of the world-view abandoned under capitalism.

I used to give it to students beginning the graduate study of medieval and Renaissance literature as the only account I knew free of the "enormous condescension of posterity" (E. P. Thompson).

One of Thompson's students has recently produced an account of pre-modern law that has the same virtue (and others): Peter Linebaugh, "The Magna Carta Manifesto: Liberties and Commons for All" (2008).

(I was once attacked for a lecture I gave when very young with the remark, "I'm tired of you Marxists and your romantic attraction to the Middle Ages!")

Another considerable literary figure died on that day: Aldous Huxley, perhaps more worthy of of respect from the Left than George Orwell.

--CGE