[Marxism] A Reason to Root for Dubai on the Hudson

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Nov 24 21:13:07 MST 2013

NY Times November 22, 2013
A Reason to Root for Dubai on the Hudson
By HUGO LINDGREN

It used to be that if you lived in Greenwich Village, one thing you
could count on was that a black reflective-glass office tower was not
going to be built next door. Well, after half a lifetime of wanting to
live in Greenwich Village, I now do, and a black reflective-glass office
tower has, in fact, been built next door. It’s part of a cluster of
shiny futuristic-looking things that surround the old Cooper Union
building like enemy spaceships. Emerging from the closest subway stop,
at Astor Place, you can be forgiven for wondering how you ended up in
downtown Houston.

The old easygoing Village ambience has been getting economically
stimulated out of existence for decades, but it’s going faster than ever
now. Every time I walk across Eighth Street, I can’t believe what has
happened to it — how one of downtown’s last reliably funky and
ramshackle shopping streets has been utterly neutered, scrubbed and
wine-barred. My local diner on University Place shut down because it
could no longer afford what was said to be a rent of 40 grand a month.
It sat empty for months and months, though we don’t suffer for dining
convenience. There are now two Pret a Manger premade-sandwich joints in
my area, as well as a 7-Eleven with rolling corn dogs in the window.

Nothing says nowhere quite like a 7-Eleven. Except maybe a Jamba Juice.

I could go on. Remember Cedar Tavern, the storied old bar where de
Kooning and his pals got lit? Well, it moved a few times over the years,
but its final incarnation was erased from sight by a ticky-tacky condo
building with cheapo metal windows. The apocalypse is complete now that
a European Wax Center — “Walk In, Strut Out” — has opened on the ground
floor. Highly personal services are the last righteous stand of retail.
Nearby, a sign went up for a joint called Sweat Shop. In addition to
baking customers in an “infrared sauna,” it promised “lipotropic and
glutathione injections.” Not sure what those are, but I’m guessing
they’re not available on Amazon. (Update: They are, in fact, available
on Amazon. I just checked.)

So totalizing has the homogenization of my neighborhood been — the Duane
Reades robotically mass-producing themselves, the tutti-frutti explosion
of frozen-yogurt chains or, of course, the complete collectors’ set of
bank branches — that the Blockbuster video-rental outlet that closed
last year felt like one of the neighborhood’s last cherished links to
its bohemian heyday. Because, you know, at least it had a copy or two of
“Shakespeare in Love.” It is now a real estate showroom.

If this is sounding like yet another lament about how the great island
of Manhattan has been reduced to a soulless playground for investment
bankers and multinational franchisers, well, it’s kind of unavoidable,
isn’t it? Even some bankers feel this way. They didn’t move here from
Shaker Heights to live in a shopping mall, either. On his blog,
Vanishing New York, Jeremiah Moss does an excellent job of cataloging
all that’s constantly being sacrificed to the god of rising rents, and
even if you don’t share his outrage and acute sense of loss, it’s hard
not to occasionally indulge in nostalgia for an urban experience that
you probably never had.

But as someone who has lived here more or less continuously since 1968,
I try to line up against sentimentality. Who wants to live in a museum?
I like it here precisely because things don’t stay the same forever, and
let’s face it, the European Wax Center is not to blame. Jane Jacobs may
have saved a lot of nice old buildings in her day, but the urban ecology
she championed was wiped out years ago, and nobody knew that better than
she did. In her old downtown ’hood now, there are no doubt more
derivatives traders than artists, so of course the demand for body
waxing has eclipsed that of Doc Martens merchants. This is not even the
first time that artists have been chased out of the neighborhood. In
“The Village,” John Strausbaugh’s lovely history of the neighborhood, he
quotes a Times article from 1922 describing how “New York is being
destroyed as an art centre by the usurpation of studios and the
dispossession of artists.” He also cites a 1927 Christian Science
Monitor article that was headlined this way:

GREENWICH VILLAGE TOO COSTLY NOW FOR ARTISTS TO LIVE THERE
Values Increase So That Only Those Who Can Write Fluently in Check Books
Can Afford It
ONE ROOM AND BATH COST $65

Something big and interesting happened between then and now — actually,
two big and interesting things. First, there was the Great Depression,
which took the shine right off New York’s shoes, though the city bounced
back strongly. For evidence, do a Google search for that film clip from
1939 that went viral a few months back and marvel at how immaculate the
city looked. The beautiful municipal buses, the well-groomed people in
hats and dresses. Even the streetscape in Chinatown looked as neat and
tidy as a doll’s house. The years immediately following World War II may
have been the pinnacle of New York’s wealth and power. In “Manhattan
’45,” Jan Morris’s portrait of an ascendant city, she cites a Gallup
poll in which 9 out of 10 New Yorkers considered themselves happy. Think
about that for a second — hordes of happy, upbeat New Yorkers. Of
course, you have to consider what had just happened in the world.
Nothing boosts morale quite like being on the winning side of a world
war. But New Yorkers had special reason to feel good about themselves.
Their city was where the future was happening.

Or so it seemed. Unfortunately — and this is Big and Interesting Thing
No. 2 — the future took the high road out of town shortly thereafter. By
the end of the 1950s, it was becoming clear that another kind of
depression was settling in on New York. This one was not great. It was
long, slow and unrelenting, draining New York (and cities all over the
country) of wealth and vitality.

You can call it suburbanization or deindustrialization. It was both. In
New York, it wrecked many neighborhoods, including working-class parts
of Brooklyn and the Bronx, while leaving a few others, especially the
Village, in a glorious in-between state that is remembered quite fondly
today. Through the 1980s, the Village held on as a gorgeous ruin,
hospitable, once again, for writers, artists and all the stuff they
loved: bookstores, theaters, art galleries, record shops, secondhand
purveyors of all stripes, gay clubs, pool halls, outposts for marginal
political groups, nutty merchants catering to obscure, unprofitable
hobbies and a million grubby cafes and dive bars. Plus, a vibrant street
life populated by beatniks, dope dealers, con artists, street-corner
thugs and sex workers who didn’t have to worry much about cops.

A lot of this survived into the 1990s, when I got out of college and
moved back to New York. In those days, in my 20s, with nothing but time
on my hands, my favorite activity was to tromp all over downtown for
hours on end, a copy of The Village Voice folded under my arm, stopping
at as many bookstores and record shops as possible. Occasionally, an art
gallery. The magazine rack at Spring Street Books was a sacred shrine.
In the days before the Internet, this is how you kept up with culture.
You had to put the time in. You had to cover ground. To me, this was the
most precious aspect of city living. Little else about New York’s
vaunted cultural landscape mattered to me. I rarely made it to the
theater. I went brain-dead in museums. Going to see bands was mostly a
drag, and I felt conspicuously uncool in nightclubs. But simply walking
around downtown, ducking into that narrow little basement record shop on
Cornelia Street whose name I can’t remember, or Rocks in Your Head in
SoHo — that’s what I loved most about the city, and almost all that
stuff is gone. I’d trade the whole Internet to have it back.

As everybody knows, if you want to find new and interesting things
happening in the city today, you have to look beyond Manhattan. You
know, to like, Brooklyn, the world’s favorite urban concept. It’s quite
funny to go overseas and experience the extreme envy and fascination
everybody has with Brooklyn. Every city has ginned up a bunch of their
own Brooklyn-y fare now, and I’ve got nothing against it — the
conceptual knockoffs or the actual borough. Who doesn’t love rows of
pretty renovated brownstones? Or pizza with hand-fermented heirloom
toppings? I like premium denim workwear. I like skateboards, unicycles
and couples who chop their own firewood together. I even like the
breweries that make dark, viscous beer that, if you closed your eyes,
you’d swear tasted like the sweepings from a barn. I’d take it over a
Bud Light any day.

The problem is, even in Brooklyn, these adorable enterprises hardly
compensate for the vanishing framework of old urban life, like my coffee
shop on University Place, or the deli a couple of blocks from there,
which, to be honest, mustered only a mediocre $1.99
bacon-egg-and-cheese-on-a-roll, but at least it didn’t come with frisée,
and anyway, that deli served a broader function than the Pie Face that
replaced it. Do you have a Pie Face near you? I don’t even know what it
sells. Cupcakes, I think.

But as I said, I really do have faith in the city’s endless capacity for
change and transmutation, and so I see reason to hope. The other day, I
found myself over in the far West 50s, near the river. Have you heard
about the high-rises they’re building over there? On the old dirty
waterfront, Dubai on the Hudson is rising, which fills me with equal
amounts of awe and revulsion. This is not a New York City I know or
understand or could ever love. But I also see a possible bright side, a
way that Dubai on the Hudson could revive the Manhattan I do love — by
acting like a giant magnet to attract all the Hot Money. It’s going to
have to go a lot further, of course. In addition to fancy penthouses,
they’re going to need more of those for-profit schools that promise
Mandarin fluency in kindergarten, floor-to-ceiling touch screens and
P.E. classes taught by Olympic gold medalists. They’re going to need
helicopter pads, submarine launches — all the better to appeal to people
for whom the quaint Village is too tight and personal and lacking in
private routes of escape.

All of which could — could, I say! — leave my little neighborhood
eventually looking a little sad and archaic again. Picture this: As an
aggressively futuristic Manhattan is built on the Hudson, the higher-end
chains start to depart and recongregate where the disposable income is
higher and newfangled leisure activities abound. Rents drop. A general
sagging sets in, returning the Village to something like it was in the
1970s. Nothing will ever bring back my record shops and bookstores, but
maybe the downdraft spurs the creation of new oddball things that my
children will grow to love. Because right now, if I look around, I don’t
see much to inspire nostalgia in future generations. It’s hard to
imagine anyone getting misty-eyed about Pie Face.