[Marxism] John Fante

shacht at aol.com shacht at aol.com
Mon Nov 25 19:26:16 MST 2013

The Road to Los Angeles has Ask the Dust beat. Especially good for its discussion of race in the scene between the narrator and Fillipino packing house worker. Bandini is hung over, sick. Puking in a latrine on the job as I recall, somewhere around Wilmington (its hard to get to LA in the novel). The Fillipino woker asks Bandini if he's ok: "You feel better, now?" Bandini asks or a smoke, the Fillipino gives him one and looks at him. Bandini is incensed, humiliated. He looks at the Fillipino and calls him the n word. The Fillipino looks at Bandini ad really gives it to him, a complete analysis of the essence of racism complete with a put down, he repeats: "You feel better, now?" Bandini gets it - now he really goes crazy.