[Marxism] Qaddafi nostalgia

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Nov 27 10:07:54 MST 2013

Mr. Murray Dobbin: I read your piece on Libya in today's Counterpunch
that is filled with all the usual encomiums to Qaddafi. Whenever I read
bullshit like this, I wonder whether people like you are kidding
yourself or your readers.

Take for example your statement that "Gadhafi had been responsible more
than any other African leader for creating independent institutions that
challenged those of the West." I mean, really, don't they sell the N.Y.
Times up in Canada? If you spent more time reading newspapers rather
than trawling through Maximilian Forte's articles, you'd have been more
careful about making such an obvious pro-Qaddafi talking point.

On February 22, 2011, the NY Times reported:

I.M.F. Reviews Praised Libya, Egypt and Other Nations
By PIERRE BRIANCON and JOHN FOLEY

Less than two weeks ago, the International Monetary Fund’s executive
board, its highest authority, assessed a North African country’s economy
and commended its government for its “ambitious reform agenda.” The
I.M.F. also welcomed its “strong macroeconomic performance and the
progress on enhancing the role of the private sector,” and “encouraged”
the authorities to continue on that promising path.

By unfortunate timing, that country was Libya. The fund’s mission to
Tripoli had somehow omitted to check whether the “ambitious” reform
agenda was based on any kind of popular support.

Libya is not an isolated case. And the I.M.F. doesn’t look good after it
gave glowing reviews to many of the countries shaken by popular revolts
in recent weeks. Tunisia was hailed last September for its “wide-ranging
structural reforms” and “prudent macroeconomic management.”

You can read the whole article here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/23/business/23views.html You would find
it most edifying, I'm sure.

As I was reading your nonsense, I was surprised that you didn't defend
Qaddafi as standing up to imperialist expansionism in Africa. I hope
this is a function of having learned that your past utterance on such
matters was completely foolish:

"Gadhafi was also instrumental in killing AFRICOM, a new U.S. military
command and control base intended to add military intimidation to
American economic domination. Look for that initiative to be revived."

full: http://murraydobbin.ca/2011/09/12/libya-the-lie/

Surely, if you had taken the trouble to go to the AFRICOM website and
looked for material on Libya, you would have discovered how silly you
sounded. On September 28, 2009, the AFRICOM Public Affairs Office issued
a press release titled “Libyan Delegation Makes Historic Visit to Africa
Command”. Here are a few excerpts from this most revealing item.

STUTTGART, Germany,

Sep 28, 2009 — A delegation of three senior Libyan military officers
visited U.S. Africa Command headquarters as part of an orientation
program to explain the command’s mission, Sept. 21-24, 2009, as the two
countries continue to build their military relationship.

The officers held meetings with senior staff members to discuss the
command’s programs and activities, met General William E. ward and his
two deputies, and traveled to Ramstein Air Base to meet Major General
Ron Ladnier, the U.S. Air Force Africa commander, and his staff.

The command hosts African military delegations frequently, but
“certainly with regard to Libya, it is quite historic,” said Kenneth
Fidler, Africa Command Public Affairs Office, which hosted the Libyan team.

Two of the officers in the delegation write for the official magazine of
the Libyan armed forces, called Al-Musallh. Colonel Mohamed Algale is
the chief editor, and Colonel Abdelgane Mohamed is the space and
aviation editor. The third member of the party, Colonel Mustafa Washahi,
represented the Libyan Ministry of Defense.

The officers also toured AFN-Europe studios in Mannheim, Germany, and
met with editors of the European Stars and Stripes in Kaiserslautern,
Germany.

“They (Africa Command officials) clarified everything,” Abdelgane said
in an interview with AFN-Europe. “And they are making our mission easier
… to rise up the level of understanding between the militaries … and to
move for further cooperation to the benefit of both countries.”

In January 2009, Libya and the United States signed a defense
cooperation memorandum of understanding, which provides the framework
for a military-to-military relationship and cooperation on programs of
mutual interest.

After the signing of the MOU, a forum called the Council of Colonels met
for the fourth time since 2007. These meetings set the tone for
Libya-U.S. military relations and is the primary venue for discussing
potential security cooperation opportunities, such as ship visits and
information exchange program.

full:
http://louisproyect.org/2011/06/18/was-libya-attacked-because-of-its-attitude-toward-africom/

Have a nice day.