[Marxism] Swans Commentary: The Endless Reality Of The Imperfect Now, by Manuel García, Jr. - mgarci37

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Nov 30 19:30:25 MST 2013

Relevant to my "End of Time" review.

The Endless Reality Of The Imperfect Now
by Manuel García, Jr.

(Swans - January 2, 2012)  "If we can stop thinking about what the
future might bring and embrace the present for what it is, we would be a
lot better off," reasons John Gray in his Christmas Day editorial posted
on the Internet by the BBC News Magazine, "A Point of View: The endless
obsession with what might be." Gray is an English political philosopher
who compares the ideas of Francis Fukuyama and Arthur Koestler to
develop his argument, and justify his conclusion:

     The task that faces us is no different from the one that has always
faced human beings -- renewing our lives in the face of recurring evils.
Happily, the end never comes. Looking to an end-time is a way of failing
to cherish the present -- the only time that is truly our own.

This is pure Zen. Also, it is exactly the perspective Raymond Aron gave
in both The Opium of the Intellectuals (1955) and Politics and History
(1978, especially the essay "Machiavelli and Marx"). Aron criticized the
Christian-like historicism of Marxists, and said that "politics" not
"revolution" would always be the order of the day, since people would
perennially have to address the problems of the present rather than
hoping for "salvation," or waiting for a presumed historical
inevitability to deliver "a revolution" that would produce Nirvana: an
ideal society in perpetual stasis, the end of history, "heaven."

full: http://www.swans.com/library/art18/mgarci37.html