[Marxism] To Change Greece Requires Changing the Nation's Political Culture - and This Could Be a Tall Order, Especially for the Left

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Sep 2 08:07:09 MDT 2013

Truthout.org is one of the liberal websites I have bookmarked and check
every day. I don't think I've ever found a single article there worth
passing on to Marxmail. I am sending this along just to demonstrate how
vile it can be.

---

Probably to the surprise of those who still hold on to a caricaturish
image of contemporary Greek culture, the majority of Greek citizens seem
to be convinced that the political culture is indeed primarily
responsible for the catastrophic crisis currently facing the nation -
although it is uncertain to what extent they all understand, or accept,
the idea of political culture as a reflection of the customs and mores
of a society. For instance, while tax evasion has been traditionally a
national sport for all social classes in Greece, almost everyone expects
and demands that the state provide free services in all areas of public
life, generous benefits to the unemployed and the pensioners, subsidies
to small businesses and farmers, and so on and so forth.

full:
http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/18485-to-change-greece-requires-changing-the-nations-political-culture-and-this-could-be-a-tall-order-especially-for-the-left