[Marxism] would Russia have been justified to attack Israel over 2008 Gaza massacre?

Michael Karadjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 10:23:54 MDT 2013

On Wed, September 4, 2013 13:53, Dennis Brasky wrote:

>> http://mondoweiss.net/2013/09/kerrys-rationale-to-attack-syria-could-have-also-justified-attack-on-israel-over-gaza.html

>> "But what struck me when reading Kerry?s remarks was that his
>> rationale
>> would have paved the way for Russia to unilaterally attack Israel in
>> the
>> wake of Israel?s assault on Gaza in 2008-2009."

Jeff:
> Well I totally agree! So my question to the new "antiwar movement"
> that
> has been created just in the last 2 weeks, is this: If Russia HAD
> attacked
> Israel, would you:

> 1) Start demonstrating against war ONLY after Russia announced the
> possibility of such an intervention?

> 2) Demanded that the Gazans negotiate with Israel, so that both sides
> reach a "fair solution" without outside intervention?

> 3) Denounced Islamicist currents (such as Hamas) within Gaza for
> supposed
> or real human rights abuses, just as we -- of course -- don't like
> Israeli
> human rights abuses either, come to think of it?

Excellent points. And there a a number of other things we might have
done, following the logic of some of the "anti-war" left:

4) Every time Russia even hinted that it might end its embargo on arms
to Hamas, and consider sending some, we might have jumped up and down
about "Russian intervention", even when not a rifle actually gets sent

5) Continually stress the terrorist actions that Hamas or other
Palestinian groups have carried out, and announce that this means that
"atrocities are committed by both sides" (sound familiar about
Israel/Palestine?), and that therefore we cannot support either side of
this "brutal civil war"

6) Following on the from the latter, assert that if Russia does attack,
it would be "fighting on the same side as Islamic terrorists" and,
depending on which part of the "left" is saying it, add, "who may later
turn their fire against us"