[Marxism] "There Is No Time for Hesitation": Reflections From the Free Syrian Army | Wendy Pearlman

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Sep 4 18:26:07 MDT 2013

"There Is No Time for Hesitation": Reflections From the Free Syrian Army

The war in Syria has left more than 100,000 dead, one-fifth of the
population forcibly displaced, and untold numbers tortured in prison. As
a part of a larger project interviewing Syrian refugees in Jordan and
Turkey, I carried out the following interview with an army colonel who
defected to the Free Syrian Army fighting President Bashar al-Assad. I
spoke with him on August 11, 2013, ten days before the chemical weapons
attack that killed nearly 1,500 men, women, and children in the suburbs
of Damascus. This officer's words have now been superseded by the debate
on a possible U.S. strike on Syria. Nonetheless, they remind us that the
past two and a half years have never lacked opportunities for meaningful
international intervention to stop the Assad regime and end the
suffering and destruction in Syria. We should not allow yet another
opportunity to be missed. The longer the conflict continues, the more
innocents who will die and the graver the threat to the stable,
tolerant, and free Syria for which the uprising was launched.

full:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/wendy-pearlman/there-is-no-time-for-hesi_b_3862630.html