[Marxism] Review of David Caute's Isaac and Isaiah: The Covert Punishment of a Cold War Heretic

Paul Flewers trusscott.foundation at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 5 07:10:53 MDT 2013

My review of David Caute's book on Isaiah Berlin's sabotage of Isaac
Deutscher's academic career -- Isaac and Isaiah: The Covert Punishment of a
Cold War Heretic (Yale University Press) -- has been published.

'Before I became a student I naively laboured under the impression that the
academic world was a place of disinterested study and civilised behaviour.
A short while at college soon disabused me of that illusion. Academe was
full of blatant careerism and back-stabbing; the conduct of the political
world with which I was long familiar seemed by contrast almost gentlemanly.

'This book deals with a particularly unpleasant example of academic
skulduggery: the story of how the liberal philosopher, Isaiah Berlin,
prevented Marxist historian Isaac Deutscher from obtaining a key academic
post at Sussex University in 1963. Although the story was known, having
been revealed in the radical paper, The Black Dwarf, back in 1969, this is
the first full-length account of the episode.'

Read the rest here <
http://www.cpgb.org.uk/home/weekly-worker/976/review-parallel-lives-and-irrational-jealousy>.

Paul F