[Marxism] With the Libyan Rebel | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Sep 7 11:42:12 MDT 2013

When the revolution broke out in Libya, it had two choices. It could
back Qaddafi, who Fidel Castro had dubbed “the lion of the desert”—a
sobriquet made obsolete when the dictator had begun keeping a scrapbook
of Condoleezza Rice snapshots or it could back the revolution. For the
pro-Qaddafi camp, there were many experts to rely on, Maximilian Forte
one of the most prominent. When Forte explained imperialism’s assault on
Libya as a response to Qaddafi’s resistance to AFRICOM, a bid to
increase Western military assets on the ground, my first reaction was to
check the story. No matter how many times I pointed out that Qaddafi
looked forward to working together with AFRICOM “in ways that help us
achieve those common objectives for peace and stability”, it never
registered on the Qaddafi fan club. Faith is difficult to shake.

http://louisproyect.org/2013/09/07/with-the-libyan-rebel/