[Marxism] Self-Organization of the popular struggles in Syria against the regime and islamist groups? Yes, it exists! | Syria Freedom Forever – سوريا الحرية للأبد

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Sep 8 16:15:59 MDT 2013

For more than two years, the majority of observers analyzes the Syrian
revolutionary process in geopolitical terms, from above, and ignores the
popular political and socio-economic dynamics at the bottom. The threats
of a Western intervention have only reinforced this idea of an
opposition between two camps: The Western states and the Gulf monarchies
on one side, Iran, Russia and Hezbollah on the other. We refuse to
choose between these two camps, we refuse this logic of the “least
harmful [evil]” which will only lead to the loss of the Syrian
revolution and its objective: democracy, social justice and the
rejection of sectarianism. Our support goes to the revolutionary people
fighting for its freedom and emancipation. Indeed, only a people
fighting will allow not only the fall of the regime, but also the
creation of a secular democratic state and the emergence of social
justice.  A society respecting and guaranteeing each and everyone’s
right to practice their religion and respecting their equality without
discriminating against them on the basis of religion, ethnic background,
gender, etc.

Only masses developing their own mobilization potential can realize
change through their collective action. This is the abc of revolutionary
politics. But this abc, today, faces a profound skepticism from numerous
leftist milieus in the West. We are told that we are taking our desires
for realities, that there may have been an early revolution in Syria two
years and a half ago, but that things changed since then. We are told
that jihadism has taken over the fight against the regime, that it is no
longer a revolution but a war and that there is a need to choose a camp
to find a concrete solution.

All the “debate” on the left is polluted by this ‘campist’ logic, often
accompanied by conspiracy theories that blur the fundamental differences
between the left and the right – and especially the far-right. When a
journalist testifies what he or she saw on the ground, in this or that
region under rebel control, and that this testimony dismisses the
dominant explanations on the jihadist hegemony, he is ignored. Some even
imply that those tales are part of the media lies, that aim to make the
opposition look presentable to justify an imperialist intervention and
thus that we cannot credit it [his depiction].

We asked Joseph Daher, Syrian revolutionary activist, member of the
Revolutionary Left Current in Syria, currently living in Switzerland, to
explain the state of the popular movements in his country, specifically
the self-organization of the masses in the liberated regions, the
struggle against sectarianism and against islamists. The conclusion that
comes out of this is clear: yes, the revolution is still alive in Syria,
and it needs our solidarity.

full:
http://syriafreedomforever.wordpress.com/2013/09/08/self-organization-of-the-popular-struggles-in-syria-against-the-regime-and-islamist-groups-yes-it-exists/