[Marxism] Is Putin Really Planning To Bomb Saudi Arabia? And Syrian rebels with sarin tripping in tunnels ...

Michael Karadjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Tue Sep 10 08:59:19 MDT 2013

----- Original Message -----

From: "Shane Mage" <shmage at pipeline.com>

> This brings me to the most obvious question: Why would Putin bomb
> Saudi Arabia? And a more serious question: What makes that rumor even
> remotely credible, bizarre as that may sound?
>
> The answer involves a little-reported meeting between Putin and Saudi
> Arabia’s powerful intelligence chief, Prince Bandar, on July 31 of
> this year. The Saudis and Bandar are the main backers of the Syrian
> opposition forces fighting against Bashir al-Assad’s army. The Saudis
> back the whole range of opposition forces, including the Al
> Qaeda-linked al-Nusra jihadis, who are among the best fighters —

I'm not much interested in the strange question of whether Russia
planned to bomb Saudi Arabia, but it bugs me that people continue to
write obvious falsehoods as if with great authority. It is unclear where
this particular discussion came from that Shane sent, but when I yet
again see the assertion that Saudi Arabia is backing and arming Al Qaida
in Syria, I’m reminded again of what for me was one of the most obvious
holes in the strange story of rebels accidentally dropping the sarin in
some tunnel.

That story claimed that the FSA rebels were on a mission unwittingly
carrying chemical weapons, not knowing what they were, from the Saudis
at the Jordanian border, to Al-Nusra.

The need to make up this story is obvious: the main problem with the FSA
doing it was that the chemical weapons killed their families back home
while they were on the front lines; the main problem with Al Qaida doing
it was, if they have chemicals, and little regard for human life, then
funny how they haven’t been using them liberally in the war. So the need
to bring in an outside power to supply it to Al Qaida, and the need for
the FSA to not know it was all happening (but give them the blame
anyway).

The fact that Al-Qaida’s reason for existence is to overthrow the Saudi
monarchy, who they see as arch-infidels, apparently has no bearing on
people continually making such statements, and in particular on people
trying to concoct some alibi for Assad.

Saudi Arabia and Al Qaida have almost identical extremist salafist
ideologies, but that doesn’t alter the fact that they hate each others
guts like poison. Syria is nothing if not complicated, but I wish people
could at least get that right.

So, for several months now, Saudi Arabia has been involved in trying to
build a “national Syrian army” from Baathist defector military officers
in Jordan. The project is backed by the US, with the difference that to
date, the Saudis have actually tried to get arms to the regular FSA
inside Syria in the south (and in the last couple of months have been
more successful), in order for this puppet force building in Jordan to
try to gain some credibility, whereas the US has tried its utmost to
block any weapons at all getting across to the FSA if it can, and bugger
the need for cred, the US only intends its tools to come to power either
in a palace coup, or, if the US does attack, from the top.

Three important points about this development.

First, much of the FSA on the ground in Syria, and most of the
Islamists, are deeply suspicious of this initiative, which they
understand as an attempt to steal their efforts from above;
nevertheless, in the south the FSA has a working arrangement with it, to
the extent that some weapons can get past the US obstacles.

Second, as ex-Baathist officers, this outfit, backed by the Saudi
theocracy, is entirely secular, just like the Mubarakist military the
Saudis just heavily backed to overthrow the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt.
Whether moderate Islamists like the Brotherhood (much softer than the
Saudis) or extremist salafists like Al-Qaida (similar or harder than the
Saudis), one thing the Saudis hate is Islamic revolutionaries, who would
like to replace the Saudi monarchy with a clerical-influenced republic
(the Brotherhood) or a direct clerical dictatorship (Al Qaida)

Third, it has been widely discussed that part of the aim of this army,
apart from allegedly overthrowing Assad, will be to fight Al-Qaida in
Syria, like the Sunni Anbar brigades the US eventually got going in Iraq

Oh yes, Saudi Arabia wanted to supply Al-Qaida with chemical weapons. A
dead giveaway that the story was just stupid.