[Marxism] Reading the NY Times on Syria, part 2 | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Sep 11 14:08:55 MDT 2013

As I mentioned in my last post on this topic, NY Times readers do not
bother to read many of the articles, but rely on the title to orient
them to what is happening in the world. For example, a buyer in the
Bloomingdales housewares department might take a look at the title
“Assault on Christian Town in Syria Adds to Fears Over Rebels” and say
to himself or herself: “Tch-tch, those Arab radicals are up to their old
tricks, raping and killing nuns”, without reading the actual body of the
article. Of course, it didn’t help the rebel cause when the photo
appearing beneath the title was a funeral procession for three
Christians who had recently been killed in Maaloula—even if they were
the victims of government artillery.

One supposes that the editor who assigned the title to the article, as
opposed to the reporter, must have understood that this would be a good
possibility. As anybody who has been reading the NY Times lately
understands, the paper is dead-set opposed to an American intervention
despite hysteria at places like wsws.org over “another Iraq”. In the
last article I commented on, it was revealed that the Youtube clip
featured in the article that depicted government soldiers about to be
executed as proof that you were dealing with utter savages was from a
year ago. I ordinarily don’t bother with Twitter, but thought that this
one that turned up in a Google search was worth sharing: Hey @nytimes
your buried “correction” on the Syria rebels front page story reminds of
good old days: Jeff Gerth, Jason Blair, Judy Miller.

full:
http://louisproyect.org/2013/09/11/reading-the-ny-times-on-syria-part-2/