[Marxism] Saul Landau, Maker of Films With Leftist Edge, Dies at 77 (NY Times)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Sep 12 09:31:03 MDT 2013

On 9/12/13 10:57 AM, Jim Farmelant wrote:
> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/12/arts/saul-landau-maker-of-films-with-leftist-edge-dies-at-77.html
>
>  September 11, 2013 Saul Landau, Maker of Films With Leftist Edge,
> Dies at 77
>
> By DOUGLAS MARTIN Saul Landau, a determinedly leftist documentary
> filmmaker and writer whose passion for asking what he called “the
> most intrusive questions” yielded penetrating cinematic profiles of
> leaders like Fidel Castro and Salvador Allende, died on Monday at his
> home in Alameda, Calif. He was 77.
>
> The cause was bladder cancer, his daughter Julia Landau said.

I had a day-long exchange of emails with Landau a few months ago after
he wrote an article alluding to Syria's "well-stocked" restaurants as
proof that the revolt had no justification. To give credit where credit
is due, I always found his articles on Cuba tip-top. Furthermore, unlike
Foster who has never replied to any challenges I put to him (who can
blame him, I suppose), Landau did not adopt the usual elitist stance
that he was "above" tangling with the hoi polloi. He will be missed.