[Marxism] When truth is the first casualty of warfare | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Sep 12 12:19:02 MDT 2013

You can include left journalism as part of the collateral damage from
the August 20 chemical weapons attack in the Damascus suburbs. Written
to defend Syria against Obama’s war machine, a number of articles have
failed to pass the smell test. There is a sense that the ends justify
the means as someone put it in a Facebook discussion:

	If someone wants to “write some bullshit that has as much basis in the
evidence as 911 [“truther” theories],” that’s fine with me…Anything to
obstruct a U.S. imperialist attack on Syria gets a green light with me.

Maybe I am the only person on the left that is not fine with telling
lies to oppose American intervention. Sometimes I feel like Joe Buck in
“Midnight Cowboy” who stops dead in his tracks when he spots a bum
sprawled out unconscious or maybe dead on a NYC sidewalk as others pass
by in total indifference. Why should I get worked up over a little white
lie that gets Bashar al-Assad off the hook? Just move along, nothing to
see here.

full:
http://louisproyect.org/2013/09/12/when-truth-is-the-first-casualty-of-warfare/