[Marxism] comment on sabotage in Venezuela

michael a. lebowitz mlebowit at sfu.ca
Sun Sep 15 15:10:08 MDT 2013

 From Zoe Clara Dutka [NACLA 10 Sept 2013] reposted in
www.venezuelanalysis.com [http://venezuelanalysis.com/analysis/10012]:

In order to make sense of this foggy feeling, I spoke to someone who
never labored under illusions of what the government's role is. The
author Roland Denis was imprisoned in 1989 under the nefarious regime
prior to Chávez known for its massive corruption. He later served as
Vice Minister of Planning from 2001-03, and knows too much about
administration to be surprised by the less appealing aspects of power.

"When you begin to analyze any government in depth, sooner or later you
will realize it's a disaster," Denis said with conviction. He describes
the state itself as an inherently conservative structure. The more
resources it handles, the more self-serving people are drawn to it like
flies to honey.

Last week a widespread power outage plunged 14 states and Caracas into
panic, rendering the Metro temporarily out of order. Denis ensures that
the blackout had little to do with a lack of infrastructure, as the
opposition claims. "Of course its sabotage," he says. "Everyone knows
that if you're chavista and you work in CORPOELEC [the state electric
company], you have to keep your beliefs clandestine. What we're seeing
now is what I call the subjectivity of resignation. They [the
oppositional forces inside and outside the government] are creating a
wave of chaos... people begin to complain about [public] services and
scarcity, so that any change might be a welcome change. But if you can
only see one faulty detail at a time, it will make no sense...."

--
Michael A. Lebowitz