[Marxism] A guide for the perplexed on Syria | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Sep 16 12:45:51 MDT 2013

 From the very beginning my interest in Syria has been focused on what
was taking place inside the country rather than on the Great Game that
absorbed Robert Fisk, Patrick Cockburn and Pepe Escobar. If your point
of departure is that there is some kind of global chess game in which a
pawn might have to be sacrificed for the sake of a checkmate, then
naturally you will be willing to see Bashar al-Assad’s enemies
vanquished no matter the justice of their cause. One supposes that in
order to avoid the cognitive dissonance associated with an approach more
Metternich than Marx, the global chess game left tended to avoid reading
or mentioning any literature that put the rebels in a favorable light.
Instead, every single misstep was seized upon to make it seem that they
were a Taliban-like threat to a secular and progressive regime even
though with somewhat naughty authoritarian tendencies.

I am sure that those who continue in this vein will have little use for
the material outlined below, all of which is available online, but for
those sitting on the fence or simply curious this might prove useful:

full: http://louisproyect.org/2013/09/16/a-guide-for-the-perplexed-on-syria/