[Marxism] Dear David Bromwich

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Sep 18 09:32:54 MDT 2013

I hope you don't mind me calling attention to some terrible sloppiness
in your LRB Diary on Obama and Syria
(http://www.lrb.co.uk/v35/n18/david-bromwich/diary), especially since
you are Sterling Professor of English at Yale. I am certainly in awe of
Yale's reputation and must conclude that anybody who has become a
Sterling Professor must have leaped some high hurdles--but really. You
write:

 >>What exactly are those forces? One of the largest and the least
talked of in the US has been Saudi Arabia. If it is necessary to supply
weapons and money to jihadists to weaken Syria, and thereby to weaken
Iran as well, the Saudis have shown that they are willing to do such
things. Turkey and Qatar also support the rebellion for reasons of
political advantage; and Israel is interested in prolonging the war,
though not in assuring the victory of jihadists. It makes Israel shine
more brightly as America’s sole reliable partner in a region sinking
into devastation. A New York Times story on 5 September offered this
disclosure by a former Israeli diplomat, referring to the jihadist
rebels and Assad government forces: ‘Let them both bleed, haemorrhage to
death: that’s the strategic thinking here. As long as this lingers,
there’s no real threat from Syria.’<<

I must prevail upon you from using the term "jihadist" in such an
obviously demagogic and irresponsible manner. Most scholars of the
region put no more than 10 percent of the rebels into that category.
Perhaps you use the term based on having watched a Youtube clip showing
a FSA member crying out "Alluakhbar" after firing a machine gun at an
armored helicopter or some such thing. In wartime men and women who are
observant Muslims often resort to such morale-boosting rhetoric but that
does not mean that they intend to come to New Haven and impose Sharia
law on your faculty or prevent you from enjoying a nice Pinot Noir.

My suggestion to you is to find some time to study up on Syrian
economics, politics, and society. I put together a reference guide
intended just for people like you. It is titled "A Guide for the
Perplexed on Syria"
(http://louisproyect.org/2013/09/16/a-guide-for-the-perplexed-on-syria/). I
am sure you will find it most salutary.