[Marxism] Fwd: Watta country: Stony Brook State University on LI sets up food pantry for needy students

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Sep 18 17:10:12 MDT 2013

STONY BROOK, N.Y. (CBSNewYork) — Some students are starving at Stony
Brook University, and the concern has reached the point where the school
has launched a campus effort to curb hunger.

As CBS 2’s Carolyn Gusoff reported, the Long Island university has set
up a free food pantry for hungry students. It opened with $5,000 in
donated food for students who say they skip meals – unable to balance
the cost of an education with food.

Jake Cohen is putting himself through college.

“I have to have a small dinner, because I can’t afford to have a large
dinner, so I’m eating less,” said Cohen, a freshman at the university.

Student hunger is a serious matter, food pantry organizers said.

“They may desire to have more protein, but they can’t afford more
protein, so we have students who joke around, ‘It’s going to be Ramen
noodle week this week,’” said Stony Brook University Food Pantry
co-founder Beth McGuire.

The cost of a meal plan is almost $2,000 per semester – a stretch for
one third of Stony Brook students who come from low-income homes, but
are not eligible for food stamps. And financial aid only covers tuition.

The pantry is modeled after other universities – there are 60 of them
nationwide.

“There are 17 million children in America who are food insecure, so when
they turn 18, they don’t all of a sudden become not food insecure,” said
food pantry co-founder Casey McGloin. “And if they’re going to college,
they need to find some way to fill that need.”

The Stony Brook pantry is filled with nutritious meals that students can
make in the dorms. It will be run by student volunteers, including Ruby
Escalera-Nater.

“There’s days they don’t have food, or their friend is helping buy food
for the day,” she said. “I’ve been there. My friends have been there.”

The pantry is tucked away down some stairs in a dorm basement. The hope
is that there will be no stigma attached to taking free food.

Students only need to show a university ID.

Organizers said they rely on the honor system, and hope only needy
students will use the pantry. It will also be open to university faculty
and staff.