[Marxism] Black flag is now the only one in Raqqa

Michael Karadjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Thu Sep 19 06:27:49 MDT 2013

----- Original Message -----
From: "Juan Fajardo" <fajardos at ix.netcom.com>

> "Aug. 15 ISIS pushes FSA unit the Ahfad al-Rasoul brigades out of the
> city of Raqqa, after detonating several suicide car bombs, including
> one that destroyed the brigades' headquarters there."
>
> 'Rebel-on-Rebel Violence Seizes Syria' (Wall Street Journal, September
> 18, 2013)
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324807704579082924138453120.html

More on this, and a detailed description of the situation in Raqqa more
generally, both the good and bad:
http://therepublicgs.net/2013/09/16/al-raqqa-the-reality-of-the-military-brigades-the-administration-of-the-liberated-city-and-the-revolutions-to-come/

Excerpt:

But hope rests on the youth and the various civil society blocs they
created following the liberation of the city. There are currently
forty-one civil society organizations in Al Raqqa and though the scope
and effectiveness of their activities varies hugely from one to another,
they provide incontrovertible evidence of Syrians' desire to restore an
effective role to civil society. There are groups for rights activists,
for the independent media, for teachers and students, for activists from
the non-violent protest movement, for those working in development,
small-scale economic projects and emergency relief. There are even
groups for the theatre and the arts. Some of those who work in these
groups were detained two or three times by the regime prior to
liberation. It is they who give you hope. Their voices carry a weight
that cannot be ignored. Moreover, these groups play a role in
maintaining dynamic and flexible relations with the armed groups. These
relationships are vital for keeping channels of communication open
between the two sides, channels in which personal contacts are of
supreme importance. All these forms of interaction are vital to the
process of identifying and isolating those who communicate poorly or
outright refuse all communication (ISIS, for instance). These days, Al
Raqqa's residents increasingly tend to distinguish between those who
bear arms to continue their struggle against the regime and those who do
so to impose a dictatorship of another kind or to triumph in purely
local power struggles. All these types are present in Al Raqqa today.
Most of the time, public reception is the determining factor in one
party gaining the ascendency over others.

Despite their weariness and the difficulties of their daily lives (all
of them serious obstacles blocking the revolutionary's movement's return
to full strength) there are clear indications that the city's civilian
population is unwilling to tolerate these new dictatorial practices.
Souad, a primary school teacher, leaves home every evening to
demonstrate in various locations around the city, carrying signs that
reject ISIS's behavior and demanding the release of all those they have
detained. Souad often goes to stand outside their headquarters, an act
of open defiance, prompting some of its members to try and dissuade her
from her what she is doing.

On the evening of August 10, in response to the harassment of civilians
by members of the Ahrar Al Sham Movement, residents gathered together
spontaneously, their assembly becoming a fully-fledged demonstration
against the actions of the Movement's members. Some members of the
Movement then opened fire to disperse the demonstrators, and the city
seethed with rage, only for the Movement to issue a statement hours
later in which they declared that the members responsible for the
original grievance had been dismissed and those of them who had fled
were being pursued to bring them to justice.

A few days later on August 14, when ISIS detonated its car bomb about
the headquarters of the Ahfad Al Rasul Brigade in the old train station,
civilians attempted to intervene to remove the wounded and allow passage
to ambulances. Once more they were dispersed with gunfire from ISIS
fighters.

These events take place against a backdrop of rising anger at the
ongoing abductions of well-known figures in the city, to which was added
the rumour that Father Paolo had been murdered by his abductors. The
rumour was later denied, but confirming any information about the group's
prisoners remains impossible due to the inaccessibility of sources
within the group itself. The most recent information concerning Father
Paolo was leaked by a mujahid who had left the group and informed those
close to him that he had seen Paolo alive at the Al Baath Dam (which is
under ISIS's control) before he was transported to another headquarters
in the village of Al Akirshi, near Al Raqqa.

These successive events appear to be indicators of a deepening enmity
between Al Raqqa's civilians and the armed brigades, ISIS in particular.
The civilians do not seem to be in a position of strength when it comes
to these types of confrontations, yet at the same time they have never
before been so determined and set on continuing their struggle. Every
single person I met saw themselves as part of a popular and radical
revolt that has not yet ended. They had removed a totalitarian and
tyrannical regime from their city. Today, they see this achievement as
just one step along the long and hard road to their goal: a free, just
and proud nation.And they do not look like they will be giving up any
time soon.

Full: