[Marxism] Death of Carolyn Cassady

Philip Ferguson philipferguson8 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 22:03:37 MDT 2013

I read her "Off the Road" when it first came out.  What an eye-opener.  She
was one amazingly forgiving woman.  One time Allen Ginsberg was staying
with her and Neal Cassady, and the two men had sex in the same room as
her.  Actually, I have a vague memory that it was just before or just after
her wedding.

The book was a fascinating account of how the adventures of male Beats,
like Kerouac and Cassady, were underwritten by the labour of women -
herself, Kerouac's mum (Kerouac was a bit of a mummy's boy Catholic son).
Rather depressing too.

I was never much of a fan of Kerouac or Neal Cassady, but I thought even
less of them after reading "Off the Road".  Of the two, I thought less of
Kerouac. Neal Cassady at least didn't really pretend to be anything other
than what he was, whereas Kerouac upheld a formally fairly conservative
(and very hypocritical) 'moral' code.  Also, Cassady seemed somewhat
bi-polar.

Phil