[Marxism] "Syrian Chemical Weapons & the Possibility of Ending the Civil War, " by William R Polk - Syria Comment

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Sep 30 06:58:24 MDT 2013

Yesterday I posted a quote from a Joshua Landis 2006 NYT op-ed piece
advocating American support for a crackdown on Sunnis in Syria. Although
his website is a useful resource for understanding Syria, the implicit
editorial stance is backing for continued Baathist rule with "reforms",
in other words a Yemen type approach. The link below is to a talk by a
big-time insider, a former Member of the Policy Planning Council of the
United States Department of State. Despite the constant drum beat of
warnings about Syria becoming Obama's Iraq, the talk probably reflects
dominant trends in ruling circles.

http://www.joshualandis.com/blog/syrian-chemical-weapons-possibility-ending-civil-war-william-r-polk/

"Contrariwise, the results of Russian policy are likely to be an
increase in the power and determination of the Syrian government.   It
is no more democratic than the rebel groups, but it is more ethnically
tolerant:  although Alawi dominated, it includes even at the top level
numbers of Muslims and Christians.  Whether or not this liberal or
tolerant aspect of the regime continues will depend, I suggest, largely
on how long the war continues, how bitter it becomes and whether or not
serious efforts are made to improve the economy.  Thus, much will depend
on the Russian program."