[Marxism] Richard Seymour on Syria: How the revolution went wrong

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Sep 30 08:03:28 MDT 2013

On 9/30/13 9:46 AM, Eli Stephens wrote:

> I'm afraid I'm more confused than before. You urge comrades to read the
> article, yet you prevent it from being posted directly on the list
> because...you were prevented from accessing their website? In what logic
> system does that make sense?

Okay, let me outline what happened.

1. Several weeks ago the first part of "What Revolution?" appeared on
TNS. I said nothing about it.

2. About a week ago the second part appeared. I wrote a fairly brief
response to it on my blog, calling attention to the irony of citing some
rhetoric from Mao about the need to oppose imperialism while likely
failing to recognize that the OSS trained and armed Mao during WWII just
as it did with Ho Chi Minh. I also wrote that the article by Red
Maistre, a traditionalist Catholic with Marxist-Leninist leanings, would
do little harm since the Alexa traffic rating for TNS was so low.

3. Immediately after my blog article was posted, I discovered that I was
banned from looking at the TNS website henceforth. Nobody else had this
problem as far as I know.

4. In your confusion, you assumed that I was blocked from reading Red
Maistre's piece. To lend a helping hand, you stepped forward to send the
article to the list. That was noble of you but unnecessary. Since the
article is of biblical proportions (14000 words) and since everybody
could read the article through normal channels, I decided not to forward
it to the list. I neglected to mention to you that I was not releasing
it to the list. Again, my apologies.

I hope this makes things clear.