[Marxism] [Pen-l] Dugin Tells Separatists in Ukraine What to Do Next | The Interpreter

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 09:14:20 MDT 2014

On 2014-04-02, at 10:16 AM, Louis Proyect wrote:

> On 4/2/14 9:44 AM, Marv Gandall wrote:
>> I don't take seriously reports that the Putin government is trying to spark a civil war in the Ukraine which will further embroil it in confrontation with what it habitually describes as its European and American "partners".
>
> That's not the reason I posted it. As probably now obvious, the three items I posted just now are about the affinity between the Kremlin and the European ultra-right, far more ominous than anything taking place in Ukraine.

You have persistently argued the Ukrainian far right played little role in the recent protests and formation of the new government. If I understand you correctly, you have have  now taken it a step further by suggesting that it is instead the Putin government - rather than groups like the Right Sector and Svoboda - which has more "affinity" with the ideology and symbols of fascism. These are precisely the talking points used by Western politicians and pro-Western commentators to portray the Ukrainian right nationalists and their EU-US sponsors as the targets of Russian aggression, rather than as the instigators of the current crisis.

I think that is a nonsensical interpretation of what has transpired, but it makes your reliance on outfits like the US-based Institute of Modern Russia to make your case more comprehensible.