[Marxism] Putin and the Far right

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Wed Apr 2 11:19:00 MDT 2014

Marv Gandall said:
Re: [Marxism] [Pen-l] Dugin Tells Separatists in Ukraine What to Do	Next | The Interpreter

You (referring to Louis) have persistently argued the Ukrainian far right played little role in the recent protests and formation of the new government. If I understand you correctly, you have have now taken it a step further by suggesting that it is instead the Putin government - rather than groups like the Right Sector and Svoboda - which has more "affinity" with the ideology and symbols of fascism. These are precisely the talking points used by Western politicians and pro-Western commentators to portray the Ukrainian right nationalists and their EU-US sponsors as the targets of Russian aggression, rather than as the instigators of the current crisis.

I think that is a nonsensical interpretation of what has transpired, but it makes your reliance on outfits like the US-based Institute of Modern Russia to make your case more comprehensible.

Ken Hiebert replies:
Louis has posted items reporting a connection between Putin and far-right organizations in a number of European countries.  I have reposted one of these items to another list.  full: http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/141067/mitchell-a-orenstein/putins-western-allies
If this report is inaccurate, I need to know that, so that I can acknowledge my mistake.  Is there any reason to believe that these reports are inaccurate?