[Marxism] Putin and the Far right

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Apr 2 13:49:32 MDT 2014

On 4/2/14 2:50 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:
> Louis and others, perhaps including yourself, believe that we do,
> having idealized the Euromaidan as a class movement rather than an
> ethnocentric one dominated by right-wing nationalists inviting
> confrontation with Russia and the Russian-speaking Ukrainian
> provinces in the east.

I have not "idealized" Euromaidan as a "class movement". To me it is in
the same mold as the original "Orange Revolution" or the "Green
Revolution" in Iran that too were labeled at the time as CIA/NATO/George
Soros plots. As I tried to explain, I no longer see such revolts in the
same fashion. Such peoples will look for help from wherever it is
available. I saw "Return to Homs" the other day, a great film showing at
the Quad in NYC now. It shows a group of 5 or 6 young men in a blasted
out apartment building armed with nothing but AK-47's, waiting for the
Baathist tanks coming down the street intending to finish them off. They
sing revolutionary songs and chants to each other, including one calling
in rather utopian fashion for a NATO no-fly zone. I make my judgements
on the two sides not on the basis of who NATO might support but on their
historical role. The young men of Homs are agencies of profound
historical change for the better, while the Kremlin-backed Baathist
tanks belong in the ashbin of history.