[Marxism] Putin and the Far right

Marv Gandall marvgand2 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 2 15:22:55 MDT 2014

> On Apr 2, 2014, at 3:49 PM, Louis Proyect <lnp3 at panix.com> wrote:
>
> On 4/2/14 2:50 PM, Marv Gandall wrote:
>> Louis and others, perhaps including yourself, believe that we do,
>> having idealized the Euromaidan as a class movement rather than an
>> ethnocentric one dominated by right-wing nationalists inviting
>> confrontation with Russia and the Russian-speaking Ukrainian
>> provinces in the east.
>
> I make my judgements on the two sides not on the basis of who NATO might support but on their historical role. The young men of Homs are agencies of profound historical change for the better, while the Kremlin-backed Baathist tanks belong in the ashbin of history.

We're been discussing Ukraine, and it takes quite an overheated imagination to assert that the Ukrainian nationalist movement and the Thatcherite government it produced are "agencies of profound historical change for the better". We didn't need the recent agreements with the EU and IMF to tell us the opposite is the far more likely outcome.

The Syrian uprising has been a more protracted and politically heterogenous armed struggle, but even here it is unclear which faction would dominate and impossible to say what policies it would introduce on gaining power to warrant the proclamation that it will lead to "profound" changes in the political and economic conditions of the masses. That hasn't resulted from the overthrow of comparable autocratic regimes in Tunisia, Egypt, and Libya.