[Marxism] Putin and the Far right

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Apr 3 06:57:45 MDT 2014

On 4/3/14 8:45 AM, Marv Gandall wrote:
> What "Ukrainian left" are you referring to? The left-wing Ukrainians
> interviewed by Links are not at all on your wave length. List
> subscriber Sergil Kutnil perhaps shares your views about the
> profoundly progressive character of Euromaidan, I can't say for sure.
> Can you provide some English-language sources to support your claim?

Dmitry Kolesnik is the "left-wing Ukrainian" referred to above. I am
disappointed that Links would find this screwball's views worth
repeating. As I have already indicated, he is stark, raving mad. He is
comparing Ukraine to the Weimar Republic just before Hitler's usurpation
of power. In terms of the Ukrainian left, let me remind Marvin that this
includes anarchists. Here is just one of many statements that I would
concur with:
https://libcom.org/news/ukrainian-anarchist-statement-governments-new-anti-protest-laws-24012014

Kolesnik's drivel:

http://www.esjrr.org/2014/02/dmitry-kolesnik-new-munich-agreement.html

The main aim of far-righters is to suppress any dissent voice and real
struggle against ‘fat cats’. It might seem a coincidence, but history
repeats itself and in the same city. Western officials encouraged and
promised financial aid to Ukrainian far-right groups on Sunday. An [sic]
it happened to be in Munich again – in the city where Great Britain and
France once betrayed Czechoslovakia permitting Nazi Germany’s annexation
of this independent state in 1938. The Nazi monster was thoroughly
nurtured by big business. The media in 1938 tried to whitewash the image
of Nazism till it went out of control. And we see the same trend time
and again. Storm-troopers are marching through the streets of Ukrainian
cities. You probably don’t see the victims of neo-Nazi’s attacks – you
see only suffered in clashes far-righters. Yes, one may justify the
anger caused by corrupted government, unemployment and uncertainty, but
the anger is skillfully channeled into neo-Nazi protest on behalf of IMF
and austerity measures. Yes, the Weimar republic was corrupted state,
with huge level of inflation and unemployment. But what came next was
Nazi terror unleashed after 1933. We should keep in mind the words of
John Kerry that he said in Munich on Sunday about ‘European future’.