[Marxism] Journal of Musicological Research (Volume 30, Issue 1, 2011)

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Fri Apr 4 19:02:42 MDT 2014

On Apr 4, 2014, at 5:31 PM, Craig Butosi wrote:

> Comrades,
>
> Would someone who is able kindly provide me with the full-text to the
> following citation? Please respond off-list.

That "Prague Congress" took place in the immediate aftermath of two
events: The "Prague Coup" that established a totalitarian Stalinist
dictatorship over the Czechs and Slovaks; and the Zhdanovchina, the
Stalinist witch-hunt that began with ludicrous denunciations of the
only three great Soviet composers--Shostakovich, Prokofiev, and
Khachaturian--before going on to become a veritable pogrom against
Jewish cultural figures like Mikhoels.  Western musical figures like
Bush merited everlasting contempt--like that merited by their Nazi
German counterpart Parteigenoss Von Karajan--for their participation
in such a totalitarian travesty!

Shane Mage