[Marxism] [50367] Re: Journal of Musicological Research (Volume 30, Issue 1, 2011)

lara crete laracrete at verizon.net
Fri Apr 4 20:44:51 MDT 2014

I understand, dear Shane,that what you are reading now is not for the Musicalogy’s Journal.But I an familiar with the Jewish Theater in Moscow and with the destiny of Mikhoels,the director of that theatre.Maybe,  it would be interesting to you.

It is the quote from your post:  "a veritable pogrom against Jewish cultural figures like Mikhoels”…
Strong words…”Pogrom”... and again  “against Jewish Cultural figure”...

The best Jewish Theater that ever existed so far, including the USA and Israel,was built in Moscow, at Soviet times,at times of  of the “totalitarian travesty”,by your definition, by the Zhdanov’s  (and Stalin’s )  order…Classical plays  were  running in Yuddish and  the house was  always full.
I own the original letter by Maxim Gorky,who expresses his joy for the Jewish people,who at finally get the theater.
(So much for the “totalitarian travesty”…)

Michoels,the director of the Jewish Theater,  was the close friend  of the Rosenbergs… He traveled to America,where they have met.
By his return he was “accidentally” killed by the car,while crossing the street in Moscow, Soon Rosenbergs  have died on the electric chair,accused in the “selling the secret of the atomic bomb to the Soviet Russians”…Michoels was implicated as  the" spy,"who delivered  Rosenbergs’ secrets to
the Soviet Russia. Later it was concluded that Mikhoels and Rosenbergs  were simply illuminated.
Was it the Soviet “ totalitarian travesty”?  Or it was  of the US  quite familiar “ capitalist  travesty” ?
But the travesty it certainly was…

Yet,it had nothing to do with the “dictatorial travesty of Stalin”.
cordially,comradely
Lara K.