[Marxism] Former intelligence officials and false flags

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Apr 12 07:32:08 MDT 2014

Now let’s consider another former intelligence official. This one left a
comment here on Tuesday evening. I recognized his name. He used to be a
CIA analyst, now has his own blog and based on his style of writing
comments, I think he can reasonably also be described as a “troll.”

His comment appeared under the post “Seymour Hersh as Dorian Gray,”
where I had written that had such a thinly-sourced report as Hersh’s
latest been written by anyone else, the London Review of Books (LBR)
wouldn’t have touched it.

Since I have no intention of feeding this troll, his comment will remain
in moderation — why should I or anyone else approve being addressed in
this way? I did however write directly to the author using the email
address he provides on his blog and he swiftly confirmed that he had
indeed left the comment. The former intelligence official had commented:

     You are a moron. Thinly sourced? Quoting from an actual Top Secret
document, which the LRB thoroughly fact checked, is quite a distance
from thinly sourced. Further evidence that you are a frigging tool is to
assert that Hersh’s article is somehow pandering to the left and Obama
supporters. Really? If you had actually read the article you would
understand why the left hates him — it is a devastating indictment of
Obama as a liar and a fraud.

The first thing I would say to anyone who wants to sustain the brand
value of “former intelligence official” is this: It’s probably better to
refrain from throwing around insults in public. It detracts from the
authoritative voice most people associate or want to associate with
those who have been entrusted to maintain national security.

I’ll break down what this former CIA analyst said both in order to
address the specifics, but perhaps more importantly to show that when
assessing the credibility of what someone says, we should never allow
ourselves to be dazzled by their credentials.

I’ll leave it to others to decide whether I’m a moron and move on to the
question of sourcing. Hersh, the former CIA analyst says, is “Quoting
from an actual Top Secret document, which the LRB thoroughly fact
checked” — that’s “quite a distance from thinly sourced.” Right? Not
really. Here’s why.

full:
http://warincontext.org/2014/04/11/former-intelligence-officials-and-false-flags/