[Marxism] Australia's Tory PM Abbott joins anti-imperialist camp

Michael Karadjis mkaradjis at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 20:57:28 MDT 2014

... TONY Abbott has prepared the ground for joint military exercises
with China at the end of a week-long tour through Asia that sought to
ease security tensions with the three major nations of the region ...

Abbott ‘confident’ of closer defence ties with China

    David Crowe
    The Australian
    April 12, 2014 1:18PM

   http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/policy/abbott-confident-of-closer-defence-ties-with-china/story-e6frg8yo-1226881762444

PM Abbott in China 11th April

The Prime Minister said his visits with Chinese President Xi Jinping had
been productive. Source: News Corp Australia

TONY Abbott has prepared the ground for joint military exercises with
China at the end of a week-long tour through Asia that sought to ease
security tensions with the three major nations of the region.

The Prime Minister said his visits with Chinese President Xi Jinping and
Chinese Premier Li Keqiang left him “quite confident” about closer
defence ties.

Mr Abbott said this would not only include high-level meetings between
the two militaries but also staff exchanges and joint exercises,
including multi-lateral exercises involving other countries.

“We’ve already had an exercise involving Australia, China and New
Zealand and that’s the kind of foundation that I am looking to build
upon in the months and years ahead,” Mr Abbott said.

Asked if those joint exercises could include the United States, Mr
Abbott would not go into detail.

“I’m not going to speculate on what other countries might be involved
but thanks to the rotating elements of US marines in Darwin there’s the
potential for multilateral exercises in Australia involving the United
States,” he said.

Mr Abbott played down any concerns in China about the agreement he
reached on Monday with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe to share
defence technology.

“There’s a clear understanding, right around the region, of the security
relationships that we’ve got,” he said.

“I think there’s a clear understanding in all the capitals of the region
that we want to deepen all of those relationships.

“One of the refreshing aspects of this trip is the way everyone has
operated with a clear understanding of the relationships that each of us
has.”

Mr Abbott was speaking toward the end of his visit to China, which will
include a meeting with Australian and Chinese chief executives on
Saturday before he departs later that evening to return to Canberra